Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thing #2

Something that I have never second guessed was that I am, and will always be a learner. During the process of becoming an Abydos Learning International trainer (formerly New Jersey Writing Project in Texas), we read about the lives of numerous nuns and the results of them being "lifelong learners." In Dr. David Snowdon's book, Aging With Grace, we learn how continous reading and learning new things at all ages prolonged their lives. I don't know about you, but if research shows that reading will help me live longer and have my "wits" about me, I can't think of a better way to spend my time.

As far as my strength, I feel that I have the confidence to be a lifelong learner. I am not usually afraid to try new things, especially with technology. I figure I am not going to break anything, so why not try. We tell our students over and over to try new things. The same holds true for us. What we learn together today can be done alone in the future. I have the confidence to attempt new things, but I also have the courage and confidence to ask for help.

Now just because I have the confidence to try new things, does not mean that I look at a problem as a challenge. I enjoy new technology, but I do often get frustrated with new issues and go into "flee, flight, and fight" mode. Most of the time I can come back to the problem and work it out, but it may take me a while to downshift and learn from the crisis. As I often tell Madison, "What doesn't kill us will only make us stronger." Hopefully, I will come out of this challenge pumped up!!!

No comments:

Left vs. Right: Which Side Are You?

Madison needs your help with her science fair project. If you would, please take a few minutes to complete a survey she created on Google Docs. As soon as she has the results, she will post them here on my Blog.